Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
Ah, I see. Well, potato salad at least is quintessentially German in my mind
Oh yes, and it needs to be served warm.
Does "left out on a picnic table on a hot summer day" count?

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
Hot dog with, mustard, kraut, onions. (Maybe add relish, maybe not). With a beer. That's food.
When it comes to hot dogs, it's kinda about what mood I'm in. As a general rule though, simple is better. It's kinda the point of the thing. If I'm just really lazy at home, I've been known to just toss a couple hotdogs on a grillplate, place on buns and add mustard, relish, and onions. Perfectly acceptable lunch IMO.

If I'm bothering with anything more (especially if I'm going kraut), I'm going to buy actual brats/sausages of some kind, and nicer rolls, and really commit to it. But that's pretty rare. If I'm going to that effort, I'm probably grilling/bbqing, and there will be steak (and other meats), and sides, and whatnot. So hotdogs are in this odd in-between area where I'm just not likely to go beyond "a basic hotdog" if I'm making them myself. Honestly? On grill days, hot dogs are pretty much what we make for the kids to eat (kids are weird, and will eat hot dogs despite there being ribeye... like... right there). Which works out fine, as far as I'm cocerned.

Now, if I find myself wandering about during some festival in say October (or early September maybe), and there's a vendor selling fancy kraut laden dogs? Yeah... I'll go for that. And a beer.