View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1299 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1299 - The Discussion Thread

Meant to reply to this yesterday, before we went off on a hotdog tangent, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Minor quibble: it is straight up a mother sauce, not a sub-sauce under another. An English translation of a French book replaced it with hollandaise, which is very similar regardless (temperature and butter being the biggest differences, as both are egg emulsion-based), but yeah, I take all six as mother sauces.
    Yeah. I tend to agree. But every single culinary site on the interwebs labels it differently. Which is why I tend to go with the broader "-aise sauces", and not worry about which particular one is the "mother sauce". At the end of the day, they're all identifiable in that category anyway. I mean, eggs and fat, with acid to make an emulsion. Simple enough (well, on paper anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Five bucks that it was chicken-fried steak or chicken-fried chicken (the lesser dish of the two, but with an objectively superior name). There are some places which call them "country-fried" instead of "chicken-fried". Those places are wrong. Could be something different, but those are the most common food to have sausage gravy standard except for biscuits and gravy, and, well, I don't think he would have needed to ask for that one.
    Probably what it was. Does make the most sense. I just always found the story amusing, in a regionally relevant "why on earth would you not put gravy on it?" kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok
    I have never said that I liked potato salad. As I mentioned, I dislike stuff with mayo in it.

But I have heard of warm potato salad. My family always insisted on cooled or at least room temperature.
    There are variations of potato salad that use mustard instead of mayo (or are quite light on it). And yeah... Warm variations of such.

Heck. I was watching Ina Garten's show some time ago. Now, normally I don't bother trying most things she does. She apparently has the spare time/money to do somewhat aburd and over the top things. But, every once in a while she'll showcase a dish that is super simple, using "normal" ingredients, and "normal" cooking vessels/tools, but that are really good. One of them was a simple potato dish that was basically just petite potatoes, sliced onions, country dijon mustard (with seeds), oil/salt/pepper, roasted on a sheet, and then some herbs added at the end.

It can absolutely be served hot or cold. And I use it as an alternative to a potato salad when I know there are people who are not fans of mayo. It's a very different flavor, but OMG is it good.
    Last edited by gbaji; 2024-03-22 at 02:20 PM.