1. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XIX: The Potted Plant Is Starting To Look Reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    But even if we set aside the forum "drama" (for the record, I meant it in the more good clean fun of anticipation and payoff rather than the "I win the Internet!" perspective), I do think there is that bias that things that happen in the closing moments of the story seem to carry more dramatic weight than in the build up.* Since there is an overall higher activation level, things register differently to a lot of people (often including me). Some things that would have been "neat" drop to unnoticed, some things that would have been "kinda a big deal" become huge. Given the power players, and the hints of great power potential in MitD, I lean toward the latter. The reveal will be dramatic given the moment, the attention and the uncertainty of how it plays out.

* - I hate that in sports, in particular. Know how much the 3 points in the last 5 seconds of the game counts? *Exactly* as much as the 3 points in the first 5 seconds. If it is a penalty in the first period of the first game of the season it is a penalty in the last period of the last game of the championships.[/rant]

- M
    And you are welcomed to that opinion, but it's just that, an opinion. Not a fact. But then, you aren't the one building a whole case based on that opinion, so yeah, by all means. I happen to be of the opinion that the revelation of his species will be practically irrelevant, compared with the actual dramatic moment where MitD finally breaks from under Xykon's bony thumb and sides with O-Chul. That will be the dramatic moment (in my opinion, YMMV, etc etc). I do expect MitD to come out of the shadows in that moment, as a not-particularly-subtle mirroring of his character development. And maybe we will have V, Elan, or O-Chul namedrop his species (aha! The learned scribe was correct, he is indeed a [insert name here]!). But of all those things happening all at once, the name drop won't be the dramatic part. And I think this because he might not be name dropped at all. Because Rich doesn't regularly give us the species names of creatures. And he doesn't need to for MitD because his species is immaterial to his story arc. We already know what he is: a good man. We already can see where his character arc is going. And none of that requires Rich to tell the audience his species.

And that's really the bottom line, as I am tired of saying at this point: this game of ours? It's a side game. It is a morsel of entertainment. The narrative does not owe us an answer, and if the comic never directly gave us the answer, it'd be nothing remarkable. Those that care would be able to get the answer from the forums, to everyone else, MitD's personal story would still have been dramatic and complete because he reached the end of his character arc. Nowhere in that arc is "oh, and also his species name is X" required, and in a comic that effectively hammers "stop putting some species above others, they are all sentient beings deserving the same considerations, rights and freedoms; the species is in fact irrelevant to how you should treat others" as its central message (sometimes hammering it quite literally) it'd be mighty weird if Rich suddenly made an exception here.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2024-03-22 at 03:36 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est