Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
I'm not sure the addition to Thieves Cant is appropriate for 1st level and really ties the Rogue into the stereotype of always having Stealth proficiency. I like the team-player aspect of it, though. I would peg it somewhere in the 3rd-5th level range and offer the choice of applying it to one of the Rogues Expertise skills rather than solely Stealth, allowing the Rogue to direct group checks applicable to their chosen field, whether it be Stealth or Arcana.
I really like this. I agree; rogue shouldn't just be about stealth, but I really like rogues getting a kind of "squad leader" vibe where they can direct the whole team through a particular skill use.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
I like Opportunist as a 'per encounter' resource rather than 'per rest', to maintain a degree of the Rogues "resource lite" model, but I think the effects are needlessly bland. Additions to hit and damage might be effective, but they're...well, a bit boring. I like the Piety and Arcanist options in theory, though I do think they both feel like tie-ins to subclasses rather than a core feature and they both could use some fine tuning and/or refinement in both effect and when they're accessed.
Those early abilities were chosen pretty intentionally - I didn't want to frontload fantastic stuff, and I also think rogue need a numbers boost. Yes they need buttons to press, but they also just need to be more potent on the numbers side. Adding a little booster I thought fit the rogue feel while not messing with bounded accuracy too much.