View Single Post

Thread: Best Reasons NOT to Gish

1. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Best Reasons NOT to Gish

Quote Originally Posted by Lorddenorstrus View Post
    I mean I think all of that falls under 3. Not wanting to play a caster so you're deciding to instead do something else. Because well built gishes should outperform any pure martial build made no matter what really. Keywords "well built gishes." Knowing that what ever you make is just going to be less effective than a theoretically designed Caster/Melee Gish or pure caster. If you're under section 1, you're thinking. I want to play melee, but be as effective as possible. Solution Gish. *shrug* really just depends on what level of optimization your group plays at really. An ungodly min maxed group would probably find a pure martial to be more like a pet at later levels. Lower op groups are more than likely the norm and be completely fine.
    Oh, we're talking TO? What "well built Gish" beats a D2 Crusader at melee damage? What "well built Gish" beats a Hulking Hurler? There's a reason I picked that as my example, bud. Optimized Hulking Hurler is going to outdamage almost anything in the game. 5th level spells ain't gonna beat that man. And with the ways for melee to pick up "gishing" you're like at 5th to 6th level spells tops.

Edit: A "Well Built" Gish is solidly Medium Tier PO. There's nothing wrong with that, you could play that at almost any table, but you're not doing infinite damage. Or an arbitrarily high number of damage.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2024-04-06 at 04:23 AM.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.