Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
Things I am not a fan of:

Spoiler: Stuff that didn't quite feel right
Show

a. How young Dr Salazar is. This doesn't fit the narrative of a post PhD scientist / engineer in a ground-breaking industrial setting trying to produce highly complex tech. She came off as a whining liberal arts major, not a scientist. I'll call that bad writing, and bad costume design. The actress has a solid screen presence.

b. How pouty Dr Salazar is about ... well...everything. (Though she finally behaves almost like a normal person in episode 8 when working on a well).

c. The parachute / sail lanyard failure. They either needed to explain that as sabotage, or, explain how that explosion "boost" caused that failure. "The hatch just blew" is what appears to have been the explanation. Not satisfying.

d. The drama between Jin and Will, the man who loves her but won't tell her.
That bit was way overdone.
I think this thread might have come off better had we not been binge watching. (If we had seen this one episode at a time with a few days between).

e. The UN thing in the later episodes: I know what they were reaching for, but it felt off.
I guess some day I'll grasp why they used the term Wallfacer.
EDIT:
The books had 4, not 3.
The description continues, “This is the motivation for the Wallfacer Project, a daring plan that grants four men enormous resources to design secret strategies hidden through deceit and misdirection from Earth and Trisolaris alike. Three of the Wallfacers are influential statesmen and scientists but the fourth is a total unknown. Luo Ji, an unambitious Chinese astronomer and sociologist, is baffled by his new status. All he knows is that he’s the one Wallfacer that Trisolaris wants dead.”
f. The raid on the cult. Felt off.

g. Darnit, they killed Sam!
a) It was my inference that they were all the same age, around their mid thirties, and that each had been stellar in acheivements in their respective fields
Spoiler
Show
except Saul due to his lack of work ethic, and Will due to his bohemian outlook on life

Dr. Salazar seemed to be
Spoiler
Show
basically an engineering genius who was at the same time able to raise whopping amounts of money for a private R&D startup.

c) This is explained ex ante by Wade.
Spoiler
Show
They are pushing the envelope really really far, like landing on the moon in the '60s far. Those projects had their number of failures. It is a relatively recent development that engineering projects only ship with 99% success rates. I believe SpaceX is now prone to failures as well due to the same thing.

e) This will only make sense in the next season, as it will be the centerpiece of the upcoming drama (if it is renewed)

f) Agree. It was much better in the books, specially because (spoiler for books and S1)
Spoiler
Show
Ye Wenjie's turn had happened earlier, and she exposes an internal struggle between Evans and herself, noting that Evan's path would lead to the complete obliteration of humanity in the hands of a civilization that is not in any way better morally than us

Having read the books, I feel like I understand most choices that were made to accomodate the story to a universal audience.

The one I didn't like was
Spoiler
Show
the power level of the sophons. In the books, they are basically the perfect spy, wich is a lot, but extremely limited in how they could interact with reality on a macro level. It seemed incongruent how the sophons were all powerful but then need human servants to do some pretty tame stuff.