Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
First off. A number of posters have commented on Kenobi's presentation of the Jedi order as this perfect thing, when his own history should have shown him otherwise. I don't know if that was so much about him personally viewing the Order though rose tinted glasses (or even retcon stuff), but the fact that he's trying to teach Luke to be a Jedi (or at least to embrace the Jedi teachings).
It makes perfect sense for Obi-Wan to speak fondly of the Jedi, both from a personal (he probably does have fond memories of days gone by) and pragmatic (he needs to convince Luke to become a Jedi) perspective. I wasn't nitpicking the Original trilogy here, I brought it up as an example of how narrative-wise a story can get away with presenting an institution as an uncomplicated good (which New Hope at least very much does) when that institution's role in the narrative is as a lost glory day that our hero is aspiring to.

The narrative role of an institution that is no longer an active force within the story is different than the role of one that is still alive and powerful.

Because the council expected Anakin to act like a Jedi Knight, and to set aside his personal feelings, and all of that other stuff that they thought they'd taught him, and he had learned and embraced, and should be embodying in his day to day actions and decisions.
I do think their treatment of Anakin shows a flaw, which is that the order when handling a member with pretty normal discipline problems (missing home, secret affair) is utterly incapable of doing anything productive. Anakin is not unwilling to seek their counsel, but Yoda and Mace are utterly unable to give any good advice beyond "simply do not"

Right. And this was another one of those (again somewhat hamfisted) arcs in Clone Wars that is showing us how/why the Republic and Jedi fell. At this point in time, the Jedi themselves are so intertwined with the war going on, and the political factors going on, that they are basically trapped by it.
I will say that the implied prior status quo of "The Jedi handle investigating crimes committed by Jedi internally" is also not good.