Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
Add "really crappy" before "authors" and y'might be right.

For decent authors, there's this thing called characterization. Which I actually already referenced in the post you're replying to so...if you are truly unclear on how I think being an author works and want to know, I think you have the pieces to put it together. Roy's fixation on his sword, Vaarsuvius' longwindedness and the casual sadism they demonstrated since early in the comic, Elan's well-meaning idiocy and cheerfulness, the creature in the dark being someone who would suggest playing a child's game with someone who is trying to have a deadly serious good vs. evil confrontation, Miko being the kind of person who always tries to have a deadly serious good vs. evil confrontation and doesn't pay enough attention to consider if a confrontation is truly necessary at all: all of those are important parts of those characters, none of them are tools for the kind of crude handwaving you're proposing.
And that one time when Rich told us he has rearranged entire scenes to make sure that Durkon can say "this" instead of "tha", is that crude handwaving? Because engineering a scene to have the desired effect is kinda what I'm thinking of.