View Single Post

Thread: Interesting Dispel Magic Questions

1. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Interesting Dispel Magic Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    Spirit Guardians is centered on the caster, and expands out to fill the spell's specified dimensions. Spirit Guardians, even moves with the caster, but you argue that somehow SG is not impacted by a targeted Dispel Magic on the caster? That ruling strikes me as somewhat convoluted and counterproductive, especially in regards to instilling confidence that 5e is a coherent ruleset.
    Seems pretty coherent to me. The spell creates an effect. That effect are spirits that flit around the caster. Not on the caster at all. Hence, dispel magic must target the spirits to dispel them. Mechanically speaking, unless the caster is unable to identify the spell being used, or the spell effect is non-perceivable, and the party has no access to detect magic, this is not going to be an issue at the table. In this example, the spirits are visible and therefore an obvious target for dispel magic. There's no chance for the caster to make a mistake, and a ruling doesn't need to be made.

Confidence in the game system is garnered when a spell like dispel magic, can clearly do what the spell intends and actually Dispel Magic. Confidence in the system is garnered, when a range of Self, is a clear indication that indeed, the very same spell is located, in part, on the caster's person, and in some actionable manner. The opposite is true, if one intends to rules lawyerly carve out exemptions vis a vis Dispel Magic for the most powerful spells.
    I'm not carving out exemptions to Dispel Magic. I'm just saying the idea that range = self does not mean the magical effect of the spell is located on the creature. A range of self just means the spell effect is initially created on or around the caster. It has no bearing on the nature of the magical effect it creates. The spell description describes to us what magical effects are created by it.

Consider the following examples:

• Armor of Agathys creates a magical effect in the form of a protective magical force on the creature, which means the creature is the valid target of dispel magic.
    • Spirit Guardians creates a magical effect in the form of spirits that fly around the creature, which means the magical effect is the valid target of dispel magic.
    • Nystul's Magic Aura (when cast on an object) creates a magical effect in the form of an illusion on the object, which means the object is the valid target of dispel magic.

Hence, shadow blade creates a magical effect in the form of a sword of solidified gloom, which means the object is the valid target of dispel magic.
    Last edited by schm0; 2024-04-12 at 01:09 PM.