Haven't finished yet, but without spoiling anything specific, both of your points are addressed later on, Rodin. Vault 33 actually becomes its own viewpoint alongside the other three "main" characters, which was something I didn't expect.

Overall, 4 episodes in, I'm really enjoying it. I has a good mix of old Fallout and Bethesda Fallout. I think the writing is solid, hitting just enough camp and zaniness without going overboard and smothering the intrigue, and the acting is superb. I'm pleasantly surprised that it hasn't made the mistake of the Bethesda Fallouts and gone full 50s with everything. It seems to carry on the spirit of the original games where the post-war world was its own thing and the 50s retrofuture optimism was deliberately juxtaposed against what the future actually became, instead of Bethesda's Fallout world which was trying to ape the 50s as much as possible.

I did notice that the initial appearance of the power armor was some terrible CGI, but it seems to blend in better later on. I don't know if they just didn't have the budget to go back and clean up some scenes or if there's some practical effects worked in, but I haven't been distracted since then. The rad-creatures look pretty good, too.