View Single Post

Thread: Interesting Dispel Magic Questions

1. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Interesting Dispel Magic Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeryan View Post
    Another 'Self (Area)' range. If I ask for a potato, I feel like some people here would give me a tomato. I want a 'Self' range spell, not a 'Self (Area)' range spell. They act very differently, so why would I want those in answer? I don't know why this isn't obvious.
    Leomund's Tiny Hut is the tuber you are looking for. Tiny Hut has a Range of Self, and I think it fair to say, the magic forms the hut around the caster, but does not rest on the caster.

There seems to be a great deal of inconsistency, with the Range of Self, in general. The term is an umbrella term, with around 4 practical sub-specializations.

A Range of Self can be used to describe Tiny Hut, in which the magic rests in the hut.
    The PHB states the following under Range: "Spells that create cones or lines of effect that originate from you also have a range of self, indicating that the origin point of the spell's effect must be you.."

Tiny Hut would seem to violate this notational guidance.

A Range of Self, can be used to describe the effects of Blur, in-which it seems likely the magic rests upon the caster.

A Range of Self can be used to describe the effects of Mirror Image, or, Spirit Guardians, and given the lack of accord in this thread, we can collectively agree to come to our own opinions about whether the magic rests upon the caster, or becomes a free floating vapor/spell effect.

Then we have odd ball effects such as Commune or Augury, where does the magic rest on those spells? From a religious studies perspective, it might make sense thematically for the charismatic communication that takes place with the Commune spell, (charismatic in religious terms means a direct communion with the divinity, no intermediary required), that the spell effect would rest upon the caster, since it is the caster that is directly communicating with the divinity.

The devs do not seem to have diligently followed their own guidelines presented in the Chapter 10 Spellcasting section. In effect there is no hard fast rule for where a spell resides, it becomes another case of "use your judgement", as the rules were not written with that granularity in mind.

I think Korvin has the right of it, looking too hard at the rules, shows how threadbare, the rules are.

Which is why, I strongly suggest people swap out 5e's Dispel, for a prior version found in earlier editions. If players chose to cast the area effect option that was allowed in prior editions of D&D, the practical question of where a spell resides, is effectively rendered moot.

The alternative would be to work out a heuristic to apply, an easy test, to determine which of the four sub-specializations of the Range of Self, applies to a particular effect.
    Last edited by Blatant Beast; 2024-04-17 at 03:26 PM.