View Single Post

Thread: The Definitive Spheres Tier List

1. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: The Definitive Spheres Tier List

Interesting list! I'm partly in agreement, but I do have some significant differences, probably caused by different play-styles. So here's my objectively wrong opinions :

Conjuration - As a personal preference that you hate minion-mancy, then sure. But objectively, it is a very useful sphere. You praise Destruction (accurately) for being a one-talent "decent offense" package, but Conjuration is a one-talent package for lots of things. Party doesn't have a healer and nobody wants to change classes? Conjuration dip gets you a pretty good out-of-combat healer. Need an assistant with some particular skills nobody took? Conjuration dip has your back. Yeah, you're not getting a strong front-liner with just a dip, but even then you can get a flanking buddy. I'd go so far as to say that at mid-high levels, the only reason not to take a Conjuration dip is that you already have sufficient power and versatility and don't want to add more.

Protection - Seriously, how is Protection F-rank? It's the best way to get energy resistance, saves, and AC; you don't have to take the situational stuff if you don't want to, and "always get a save" is a potent effect at high levels. Plus, it lasts a long time, so you're not spending your precious, limited, in-combat actions on casting it (YMMV, but in our group fights seldom last a large number of rounds).

Light - Darkness is mostly about zones of enemy-sadness, as you describe, but Light is a grab-bag with lots of effects. It has some good buffs (Encompassing Light ftw). It has efficient direct damage. It has interesting utility effects like seeing through walls and reading books instantly. B-rank at least.

Mind - Ok, it's at least B-rank, but A-rank? It has good effects, but you need a backup plan because a number of foes are immune. And while effects like Enthrall and Inception could potentially let you take over an entire city politically, IME most GMs don't want it to be that easy and will put road-blocks in your way (and TBF, they're not unreasonable to do so).

Alteration - I may be biased, because "shapechanger" is one of my favorite archetypes, but I think this deserves at least B-rank. I don't usually mess with the offensive transmutation (too binary, they either resist unscathed or they're toast), but even a little investment gives you lots of utility - movement, disguise, stealth, even a few senses. Primary combat use takes more focus, but IME you can get pretty solid natural-weapon offense, good for anyone who wants to melee with subpar BAB.

Mana - I think it depends on how many Sphere-using foes you fight, and how many Sphere-casters are in the party (and what level you are)? Like, at CL 8th, Manabond + Sudden Empower is twice as good as casting boons; in a party with multiple casters that's worth at least a dip. And if you fight a fair amount of enemy casters, the anti-magic stuff can be pretty good. But it definitely is situational.

Illusion - The GM-dependent nature, and the fact that many GMs I've played with either:
    A) Were flustered by illusions, had no idea how to deal with them, and got unhappy when I used a lot.
    B) No-sold illusions most of the time, on the flimsiest pretense.
    C) Were theoretically pro-illusion but often forgot to have the enemies react accordingly.
    Means that I can't personally rank this higher than B-rank.

War - I'm not saying you're wrong in general, but for many groups I've played in, Momentum would not be at all "unobtrusive", because several of the players won't remember the option exists unless I prompt them for it every time it would help. And then they'll need to be reminded how big the pool is so they can ponder whether the spend is worth it. Meanwhile the GM is staring daggers at me for slowing the turn down in order to get a minor benefit. I'd still call this a good sphere though, just not S-rank.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2024-04-22 at 01:47 PM.