Finished watching the series. Eh... It was good. It's clearly season one of a two season storyarc (at least), but it felt like Fallout, looked like Fallout, and did a good job of introducing and backfilling most of the bits it introduced. I think that people who've played the games will enjoy it, while those who have not will certainly be able to follow along with no difficulty (given that the main character is someone who is completely naive about the outside world, the audience can learn right along with her, so that worked well).

I had maybe one or two very very minor nitpicks with it, but other than that I enjoyed it.

Other comments along the way:

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
I can think of plenty of examples from my youth of bad movies made by a superfan and good movies made by someone who hated the original (Starship Troopers for example).
That's a good example of a movie made by someone who hated/misunderstood the book, but I guess whether it's "good" really really depends on how we're using that word. It's a good movie only if you never once compare or contrast it to the book and are looking for absurdist over the top escapism. Got a bit of love/hate for that film actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
The whole setting is cartoonishly stupid, that's kinda half the point. It's a post-apocalypse story filtered through the lens of 50's sci-fi, which was for the most part really dumb.
Yup. The whole point is to take 50s style optimism about the future, assume "the future" actually played out like they thought in said era, and then put a dark and silly twist on everything. And when Fallout pulls that off is when its at its best IMO.

When considering whether something in Fallout "makes sense", you must put yourself in the mindset of the folks who thought putting decorative spikes on steering wheels without considering what might happen when you crash was a great idea. Now. Put those people in charge of building the Vaults. And yeah... profit.