View Single Post

Thread: Got a house rule document? Share it!

1. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

biggrin Re: Got a house rule document? Share it!

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Personally, I'm not sold on monks needing more armor. Access to mage armor puts them at or above the average heavy armor user using just the elite array and eventually they get access to shield AC with animated shield. They also have an advantage in that they get to keep their AC bonus while polymorphed so on occasion they can easily outpace normal armor wearers when the situation demands it. If I gave my players Fizban's level of AC bonus, it would just get ridiculous incredibly quickly. Even your 2 + 1/3 feels like too much and is easily exploited by druid dips/monk belts. I'm also of the opinion that gauntlet attacks are UAS attacks and you can use UAS for TWF. 3.5 has several places where the legacy off-hand mechanic from 3.0 was assumed to exist, but was actually removed by the update (monk UAS and shield bashing for example).
    I am still stuck on this as well. My group has a monk for the first time in more years than I can remember. We are early in the campaign so I can't make any serious calls on issues yet, but I'm well aware enough of the issues that do crop up around monk. My group have been playing for many years but never got into any level of optimization, rarely multi-class and still find enjoyment out of all the options in the PHB, so I am trying to keep this in mind when making any changes that scale power up. The only complaint the monk has had so far is that their play feels a little plain (this is someone who usually plays casters), and many of Fizbans fixes would remedy this. It is the AC that I am stuck on. I'm of the opinion that they probably need more, but not sold on how much. But I love much of the rest of his document and opinions so much that I am convinced he must be right about this too
    Last edited by Ozreth; 2024-04-23 at 07:51 PM.
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."