View Single Post

Thread: Got a house rule document? Share it!

1. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Got a house rule document? Share it!

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Personally, I'm not sold on monks needing more armor. Access to mage armor puts them at or above the average heavy armor user using just the elite array and eventually they get access to shield AC with animated shield. They also have an advantage in that they get to keep their AC bonus while polymorphed so on occasion they can easily outpace normal armor wearers when the situation demands it. If I gave my players Fizban's level of AC bonus, it would just get ridiculous incredibly quickly. Even your 2 + 1/3 feels like too much and is easily exploited by druid dips/monk belts. I'm also of the opinion that gauntlet attacks are UAS attacks and you can use UAS for TWF. 3.5 has several places where the legacy off-hand mechanic from 3.0 was assumed to exist, but was actually removed by the update (monk UAS and shield bashing for example).
    I suppose I could try to add a note regarding that to the Monk section, since I have nerfed both Mage Armor and Shield (by a mere -1 or 2 each but oh boy did people rage in the thread where I brought it up), and Animated Shields are mega-banned for violating the entire concept of shields. Wording the Monk's AC bonus to explicitly never stack with any sort of armor or AC bonus is easy enough, I don't recall if I avoided doing so to keep it short, or because I thought that was a bit extreme and wanted to allow some cross-play.

As for Monk+Polymorph, I'd put that under Polymorph problems to deal with as needed. I'm entirely cool with ruling that your humanoid kung-fu does not in fact work in bodies outside of your own, the fact that it doesn't is really a massive oversight (for that matter, another option would be shutting down feats!). I can add that to the Polymorph section.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2024-04-24 at 02:04 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness