Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
Exactly - wow, I succeeded without rolling, at a thing that I wasn't going to fail the roll at anyway (hello Reliable Talent + Expertise + perma-Advantage, all of which I'll get before 9 now.) Sure wish I had a subclass feature instead...
I think one of the issues here is perhaps expecting that everything is going to be solved with a single die roll. Maybe that's because of the overabundance of "I have a spell for that" going around.

But again... show me where in the Disguise Kit it says you are able to establish a nearly flawless false identity with a single roll.
I have plenty of imagination thanks. The issue is not "derp, what do with false identity?" but rather "what makes the Assassin's false identity so much better than one I can craft with my base class that it's worth an entire subclass feature?" As above, "you don't need to roll" isn't good enough, especially with the 7-day price tag tacked on.
It's in the feature.

You don't think it's better because you seem to think that simply making a Disguise/Deception check will convince people that you are Aldarius, of Blue Haven, scholar and sage, and member of the Eyes of Boccob, with an established background, including profession, affiliations, and history. Things that people can sink their teeth into and know about the character. As opposed to trying to pass off as Aldarius the sage, and no one ever having heard of him, or these affiliations, and not being able to corroborate any of the deception at all.

A Disguise Kit lets you wear a costume. A Deception check lets you tell a lie. These things don't manifest a believable false identity as in Infiltration Expertise with a simple check.
The only thing I can think you're advocating that makes this beneficial, is that other rogues aren't allowed to use their Disguise kits and Deception expertise or something.
No, I think you understand that I've said multiple times now, including in direct response to you, that anyone can do something like this, but it would require more checks and therefore set DCs that others can beat with their Perception/Investigation/Insight. And it would likely require as much time, or more, and more money.