Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
Since he likes manwha, you could try having him take a look at The Boxer or Tower of God, as they're both good...that said, I generally think the South Korean storytelling style is likely to CONTRIBUTE to the natural demotivation/depression of that age than actually help. Manwha tend to have an overwhelming focus on the idea that hard work doesn't matter and only natural talent can carry you forward in life; if you are born "talentless" or even merely *shudders dramatically* "above average" you are doomed to failure.

Japanese Shonen manga (your Naruto, Black Clover, etc.; popular fighty manga) tend to take the opposite approach, that hard work, grit, and determination are the best things in life.

I know when I was a kid it was stories like that that really helped lift me up and push me forward compared to the "all powerful super-talented guy coasts through life while his hard working companions are left behind" stories.

For an American comics middleground between the two ideas, I love The Immortal Iron Fist run for the titular character. It has a lot of that standard superhero "you get knocked down you gotta get back up" messaging without the main character feeling like TOO much of an underdog.
A lot of food for thought there, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
Maybe try the Digger graphic novels, first available as a webcomic.
Funnily enough I suggested that to him previously, but it turns out it wasn’t to his taste.