View Single Post

Thread: Songbird race! (And other stuff.)

1. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Songbird race! (And other stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    …
    …
    …
    …
    THE TREE-GNAWERS ARE EVIL, I KNEW IT!! (Also: Beni, this is beautiful.)
    Thanks! As soon as I read that fey and plant creatures considered them devilish, I wondered what they would look like as actual fiends, and why they would not be able to survive as is on the Material Plane to explain why they would evolve into regular beavers. The whole soul-rending came naturally from there.

Chilling. I like it! (Can an Extraplanar Outsider do that, though, what with "body&soul, a single unit undivided"?)
    They most certainly can try! Also, Bihi-vurrs do not have to rip the soul out, they just need to bite into it, so having the soul be one's body just makes it more exposed.

Speaking of… Are they Extraplanar? Did they go Native? "Not able to go back to the Abyss" would imply that much, but then, there are still some on the Abyss. Hm.
    I honestly don't know how that works here. I'd say the unaltered ones like the one presented are still extraplanar, but they became native shortly before not being Outsiders at all anymore.

10d8+30 (75 hp).
    +4.
    Grp +14.
    Fort +10, Ref +11, Will +8.

AC 23, T 14, FF 19 (was the original draft Large?).
    Yes, I initially intended for them to be large, and to make an intermediary Magical Beast version be medium, but I finally decided against it. Maybe I'll make the Magical beaver one of these days. It is basically a shaman beaver, bigger and wiser than its brethren, organizing beavers in huge colonies to build dams much grander than they could otherwise, feeding their delusions of grandeur both figuratively and literally since they absorb the spirits of beavers below them to maintain their magic. One of them, maybe the last one left, absorbed the spirits of many other elders (given willingly) in a massive ritual when they noticed that their magic was running out, and thus does not fear losing his magic. He is depressed at the state of its race, and trying to bring them back to what they were through the use of Awaken and similar magic, but realizes beavers cannot come back to what they were, and maybe it wouldn't be good if they could, and he researches a ritual that could make Awaken transmissible from parents to children.

Doesn't qualify for Cleave (no Power Attack).
    Ah, damn, it would have fit. Replaced it with Blind-Fight, Also fits a creature that lives in the tarwater of the Styx.

A creature that is thoroughly Evil in the strictest sense but still has a very good reason to lashn out at every CR-appropriate opponent left and right? I can only applaud that.
    C-R-E-E-P-Y (as it should be)!
    Yeaah! I particularly like the Soul Dam ability, linking with both parts of the Bihi-vurr (beaver and soul-eating demon). One of my main concerns with demons is "what do these super-genius creatures with no bodily concern or society do with their free time?". Building castles and finding worthy opponents is not a mind flayer level of depth, but it's at least a good start of a personality.

Is that a 15 because it's based off the Druid version?
    The answer is absolutely yes (a faint link to nature is why it evolved into an Animal and not an Aberration in the first place), but I just noticed that druids have Cure Moderate Wounds as a 3rd level spell, but not Inflict Moderate Wounds. Changed to reflect the cleric version.

Anyway, have another big thank you for giving us all a reason to kill and eat every beaver we see this contribution expanding the horizons of the demonology!
    You're welcome! The next one is a bee-shaped Angel that acts both as Cupid with a love-inducing sting and as a pollinating insect accelerating the growth of plants in order to promote life of any kind on the Material Plane to increase the power of Positive Energy in the multiverse, thus empowering the clerics of the Good gods.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2024-04-30 at 04:35 PM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.