I just finished a level 15 high power campaign and it was downright silly, I can’t imagine playing it to level 20.

I played an artificer and had a 27 base AC, practically permanent flight, and a host of powerful abilities and I was on the lower end of the power spectrum of the group. We had a wizard that had become an enchanted item and could concentrate on (and cast) two spells at once and had a simulacrum body.

We had a fighter with a god-gifted weapon and it was not uncommon to see him dish out over 100dmg in a single round of combat. And so on…

It kind of reached the point where the encounters just felt like complete nonsense in order to make it feel meaningful.

I guess my point isn’t that you can’t do it. It’s that it isn’t really fun imo. The higher power and magic campaigns become the more the game mechanics start to really break down. A DM can always make things more dangerous, or throw weird changes at you, but it all starts to feel kinda weird when you are like “3 adult dragons are in this one area? I guess we just scare them away, they are no threat to us.”

Instead you end up with encounters that are just bizarre. A 9 headed dragon that regenerates like a hydra? And we are fighting it on an electric floor? (Yes this happened).

Anyway, fun at first but it it often starts to feel like combat is either too easy because the game breaks or straight up impossible because it doesn’t. Not that it matters unless you are in some kind of anti magic room since you can just peace out whenever you want.