Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
????

Eh, I think it's probably worth losing a single ASI in exchange for 3rd level spells.
Either 4 classes at 5 levels each, OR 3 classes at 5 levels, one at 4, and a single dip in a fifth for the cantrips.

For the 4 class option, Bard/Cle/Dru/Wiz skip Sorcerer because too much overlap with the Wizard list.
maybe? im not so sure, you lose out on a significant amount of spells known for that, and also 1 classes worth of core abilities, while at the same time adding a ton of options to take up your very limited spell selections.

but even then i'd probably not skip sorcerer. for one, the overlap with wizard doesn't matter, there's plenty of good spells on that list, and you're only getting a few of them from each class anyway, and if its that much of a problem, you can spread the sorcerer spells even thinner by going divine soul so you can share with cleric.

but mostly i'd not skip sorcerer because if you're going to be playing this multiclass in a high level campaign, you need to be able to make the most of your spells. and metamagic is a great boon for doing that.

in fact, if you want to drop anything its probably the druid, so that you can grab warlock. reason being...well, the short rest spell slots for one, but also because you're not going to have access to high impact 5th level+ spells, ever (outside of scrolls you buy/find). so having a solid at-will option becomes highly desireable. even if you don't take agonizing blast you can get good utility from things like repelling blast and mask of many faces. of course...this does trade off even more spells known as you lose out on land druid "domain" spells.

I've actually been theorycrafting this for a while, and while you can build it in several different ways, for several different purposes. in terms of optimizing warlock/sorcerer are basically mandatory. largely because of how well they work together to form a solid baseline that allows you to sacrifice all of your high level spells and still be viable. then, likely the goal is to build versatility, so one of cleric or druid is probably a good bet, not just for the expanded spell access but also due to being prepared casters. the final slot(s) are more open I think. but as a core i think you always want warlock, sorcerer and one of the wis casters. I tend to favor cleric...mostly because i prefer the class overall. but also because it has a strong level 1 impact and basically no dead levels until after level 5.

But this kinda gets into why i actually favor the 4x5 method. not only do you get more ASI's, you end up getting more abilities. you trade 3rd level spell slots for a 5th class' worth of core abilities. and all the caster classes have solid low level options. IMO that added versatility in your build is worth losing the raw power 3rd level spells. especially since versatility and utility is...really all you have going for you. the more varied options you give yourself, the more combo's you're going to be able to find.