Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
...so in the end, doesn't that mean that ShurikVch's point remains valid?

If I take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Warmace) feat, I get to wield a 1d12 weapon in one hand as a martial weapon (provided I'm Medium).

But if I take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Heavy warmace) feat, I get to wield a 2d8 weapon in one hand as a martial weapon. Right?

From here on, I could even decide to wield a Large-sized Heavy warmace in two hands, stomaching the -2 penalty on attack rolls, and I'm getting a 3d8 weapon. Is that correct? Then, I will have paid one feat and accepted a -2 penalty on to-hit in exchange for a bonus damage, when compared to a greatsword, equal to 3d8 - 2d6 (that's on average 6.5 extra damage). Since PA with a two-handed weapon gives +4 bonus for a -2 penalty, my net benefit there is 6.5 - 4 = 2.5 bonus damage. For the price of a feat. Meh, it's just at the level of Weapon Specialization.
As said, it comes down to whether you want to spend an EWP on it. Which I was under the impression the OP didn't want to. And which you'd absolutely need to if it was a Heavy weapon, because without EWP - or wielding a small version of the Heavy Warmace in two hands -- you're wearing -4 to the attack rolls all the time.

We can certainly agree about the damage increase. A Large Warmace does 3d6. A Heavy, Large Warmace would do 3d8, because a Heavy weapon increases each of the weapon's original damage dice, i.e. each d6 becomes a d8 in this case. Hence why if you're going for a EWP feat anyway, you might as well make it an EWP in a Heavy version of that exotic weapon for the upgraded damage dice.

That said, even if you have a EWP in the weapon, that doesn't do anything about the penalties for wielding inappropriately sized weapons.

Having EWP in Heavy Warmace doesn't touch on the amount of effort required to wield the weapon. At least not by RAW. If you're wielding a Large weapon as a Medium character, you take a -2 because the weapon isn't appropriately sized for you, and whatever the weapon actually is, it's considered a category bigger: a Large light weapon is deemed a one-handed weapon, a Large one-handed weapon is deemed a two-handed weapon, and a Large two-handed weapon is something other than two-handed for a Medium character, and thus can't be wielded at all.

See the problem? As a Medium character, you can't wield a Large Warmace in one hand even if you have EWP because EWP does nothing about inappropriate weapon sizes. By contrast, Monkey Grip specifically does address this: a Large one-hander is still considered a one-handed weapon even if you're a Medium wielder. Therefore, if you want to wield that Large Warmace in one hand, it requires Monkey Grip as well. And Monkey Grip sweats you for another -2 on the attack roll, at least arguably on top of the -2 from wielding a weapon not optimally sized for you. EWP doesn't touch on those elements, though it wouldn't be a hard ask to say it should given how most "EWP with 1 hand, martial with 2" weapons are worded.

But just to underline: if you wanted to have an EWP in a Heavy, Large Warmace, and wield said Warmace in two hands, you could do that without taking Monkey Grip, and the total attack penalty would be -2 on a 3d8 damage weapon. No penalty from Heavy because you've got the EWP, no Monkey Grip required because even if the Warmace is Large, it is still by category a one-handed weapon, and thus considered a two-handed weapon for you in terms of effort required to wield it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
I think the idea is that the proficiency feat would also allow it to be wielded one-handed. Meaning yes, a large heavy warmace would be 3d8 damage. However, what you have to keep in mind is how it can stack from there. Using Monkey grip or strong arm gauntlets can get you a 4d8 huge weapon. Add enlarge person for a 6d8 weapon. Combine the feat and item and spell for an 8d8 colossal weapon, not that you couldn't have just used greater mighty wallop (a pretty overpowered spell if I'm being honest and totally broken on a monk for 12d8 damage fists) anyways.
The quibble I'd have here is that Monkey Grip explicitly only allows you to wield weapons one size category larger than your own without changing the effort, i.e. a Monkey Grip wouldn't apply to a Medium wielder swinging a Huge weapon around. Strongarm Gauntlets also don't do anything about the 'effective size' of a weapon either, i.e. if something's a two-handed weapon for a Large wielder and you're Medium, Strongarm Gauntlets won't let you wield it, because that weapon would still be something other than a two-handed weapon for a Medium character.