1. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Warmace one-handed, therefore can wield bigger one two-handed...+monkey grip?

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I assume you are arriving at the conclusion that the -2 for inappropriate size, and the -2 for using monkey grip are different penalties, and therefore stack, and that's how you are coming to the conclusion of -4 on attack rolls?
    Yep, hence why my post said "I would say cumulatively."

But that's not how monkey grip works. The -2 penalty for using monkey grip IS the -2 penalty for inappropriate size. At no point does it ever say that this -2 penalty is an additional penalty, and the fact that it has a "normal" section, means that the rules on using monkey grip are a replacement to the normal rules, not an addition to them.
    I don't disagree that's the interpretation we'd all prefer was in place. It's just a case of poor phrasing by WOTC and a lack of a good errata once again. If my reading's conservative and most reasonable DMs see it your way, then happy days.

Also, there's plenty of use cases for monkey grip outside of being able to weild large 2h weapons, namely being able to wield large 1h weapons in one hand and still have your offhand available, either for twf, or to have a shield.
    Sure. For which it delivers a modest-ish increase in damage given light weapons tend to bob around the d4 or d6 mark, resulting in a rough +1 or so in expected damage. I don't disagree. That said, given the weapons are only changing in terms of effort used - and not their applicability to things like Power Attack- I just think the main practical use for M.Grip is on Large two-handed weapons.