View Single Post

Thread: About selling your soul

1. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: About selling your soul

I've another few questions about the pratice of selling the soul as described in Fiendish Codex 2: Tyrant of the Nine Hells.
    Since I've been repeatedly requested to not open different topics for similar question, I'll write it there.

1. What happens if a soul seller becomes undead or immortal (Cloud Anchorite, Starmetal Adept, repeated use of Steal Life), therefore not dying, not becoming damned? Personally I guess the harvester devil would become increasingly frantic about murdering the contractor.

2. In this situation, would regular sentient sacrifices / offerings of wealth appease temporarily the harvester devil?

3. Could a harvester devil be persuaded to pass a percentage of the XP reward usually offered for a Pact Certain to a cult master for each cultist he manages to successfully convert?

- example: the cult master contacts an harvester devil (a Falxugon) working under Mephistophele. Why specifically the Lord of the Eight?

Until recently, the subtle, fi ery
    Mephistopheles operated cults for Asmodeus as part of his
    vassalage to the greatest of the archdukes. Now Mephistopheles is slowly relinquishing these subcontracted duties to
    build a peculiar cult of his own that promises its members
    control of hellfi re—a relatively new magical substance of his
    design. This sect, which does not restrict its membership to
    lawful evil adherents
    , has hidden cult aspects because it’s as
    much a soul-harvesting operation as a means of entrenching
    diabolical power in the Material Plane.
    Because it seems the most likely to accept working with external contractors.

According to the Fiendish Codex, harvester devils are autorized to offer a certain amount of experience for the soul of a mortal (600 xp for a Pact Certain with a level 1 character).

The cult master makes this proposal: I convert cultists to Mephistophele, once they die - either in battle, on the sacrificial altar or in any other way - you get the merit for the soul and I get a share of that spiritual energy you would have otherwise offered for them (in game terms, 60 xp or something similar).

4. Excerpt from the Fiendish Codex 2:

Meanwhile, devilish intermediaries might seek out the captured foe’s allies or relatives and offer to return the prisoner
    in exchange for their souls. Cash-poor or greedy diabolical
    organizations sometimes grudgingly accept large sums of
    money in lieu of souls.
    Where possible, a devil always double
    deals, gaining both the prisoner’s soul and at least one other
    soul as ransom
    Could an harvester devil be persuaded to accept large sums of moneys in lieu of the contractor soul for the same provided benefit?
    For example, could a contractor buy spiritual energy (devilish XP) as that offered in a Faustian Pact, paying in cold cash rather than with his soul?
    Last edited by Samael Morgenst; 2024-05-06 at 09:48 AM.