Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
They very much aren't. Unless you for some unfathomable reason call magic items "tech". In which case, the wizardly magic falls into the same category.
Ehhhhhhhh, if magic items and phenomena can reliably be made in a factory or workshop then it is tech. And if it's underlying nature can be understood, hypothesized and tested, then it's also a science. (it can still also be an art, much like music is a combination of technology, science and art in real life)

As you know, in the *Eberron setting the giants were gifted the knowledge of magic from the dragons. They expressed their magical technology through runes, eldritch devices and spells. An artificer may well be using runes to infuse their items with magic and cast spells. But runes are just a form of magical technology, a magical effect put onto a surface. I'd argue any class with arcane magic capability is compatible with "put runes on things".

That said, I think that fighter is a fantastic choice, but I wouldn't have minded if they also added a rune scribe artificer subclass.

-

*if anyone is wondering why I'm bringing up Eberron, it's a) where artificers were first added, b) it's the first and only setting (AFAIK) where magic is science, and c) because of the magical giants connection to rune knights.