Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
December 5th
Mall Walking
Keith
“I like all kinds of stuff,” Hope replies, “but I’m currently working my way through Pierce Brown’s Red Rising series. It’s sci-fi. The first book is set almost completely on Mars. I think there’s… five out right now? I’m about to pick up book four if I can find it today. I would definitely recommend it if you like really epic space operas.”

Her smile turns teasing. “My hair is cute, my name is cute… surely you can think of some synonyms if I’m meeting you in a bookstore of all places.”
Keith grinned at the explanation of her preferences on books and thought for a moment. “I haven't gotten to read that series yet, but since I'm here, may as well pick it up. And I do enjoy a good epic space opera!”

Wasn't there something else I was doing here? He thought.

“Thank you for the recommendation.” He managed before her smile turned teasing. He felt his face flush again and his brain had stopped functioning completely.

Cinnamon. Sin of man. No, synonym. BY THE NIGHT, KEITH, YOU'RE AN IDIOT!

“The first that comes to mind is enchanting.” His smile was a bit more nervous at saying the word. “Followed quickly by fetching.”

You better stop… “I'm enthralled.” Have I caught the stupid virus? “All due to your captivating aura.” Seriously, shut up.

He wanted to hide his embarrassment of his brain not working properly to even say anything other than “cute”. John made this look too easy. In fact, he found himself wondering what John would do in this situation. Probably give three more synonyms, be concerned that he’s over doing it, and then move the conversation forward. That seemed about right.

And then it hit him with what he said. Oh man, please don’t let me have come off as creepy…… “S-so you’re a space opera fan, or sci-fi in general? Did you read The Martian as well?”