Quote Originally Posted by TrueAlphaGamer View Post
There's a reason people play TTRPGs instead of just war games or board games. I heard it described somewhere that roleplayers are essentially chasing that high of being fully immersed into their characters, and I think that encapsulates things well. The fun doesn't really come from rolling dice (okay maybe sometimes dice are fun) or using skill checks or analyzing tables or maps - the fun comes from being someone else, someone new, from diving straight into this unique and strange world. A system isn't even required, it just fills in the gaps.
I disagree somewhat. If I was just interested in inhabiting a character, I would be better served by joining an improv group or writing short stories. But that's not all I'm after; I also want to play a game. And that means rules, objectives, and even "winning."

When I think of the best DND has to offer me as a player, I think of these elements:
1) create a character concept
2) build that concept
3) play that character in an immersive world full of believable NPCs and interesting stakes
4) live out the fantasy of the character concept via combat and other challenges
5) possibly win the day, but dying a glorious death can also be great

2, 4, and 5 can't really happen in satisfying ways without rules. I could make up a character concept of The Most Interesting Guy in the World and then make up all kinds of crazy things he's done that show he's The Most Interesting Guy in the World, but that's just sketch comedy. That's not a game.

One can nitpick 5e combat if they choose, but on the whole it's a great system that does A LOT of things right. There's tons of variance, tons of tactics, it can be simple, it can be complex, and there's a way to resolve almost any situation in satisfying ways. For that kind of system to be put along side the social pillar's "make it up and possibly make a single roll," it's just jarring and disappointing.