Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Quoting myself from elsewhere (shameless, I know, but if I've already figured out the answer once...)

There you go. Infinite wishes for no XP. The crafter doesn't even have to pay the normal XP cost for the spell (they pay a whole lot of gp instead). Depending on your interpretation, it may cause one specific wish effect every time, rather than letting you designate your wish when you trigger it. I would say 'DM's ruling', but no sane DM would ever, ever let this pass...
Look at the Ring of Three Wishes:
Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Magic Items, Rings
Three Wishes: This ring is set with three rubies. Each ruby stores a wish spell, activated by the ring. When a wish is used, that ruby disappears. For a randomly generated ring, roll 1d3 to determine the remaining number of rubies. When all the wishes are used, the ring becomes a nonmagical item.

Strong evocation (if miracle is used); CL 20th; Forge Ring, wish or miracle; Price 97,950 gp; Cost 11,475 gp + 15,918 XP.
(Emphasis added)

With the sheer amount of XP going into the ring for three wishes, it's kinda obvious that you're paying the XP for the XP component.

Take a look at a Tome or Manual:
Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Magic Items, Wondrous Items
Manual of Bodily Health: This thick tome contains tips on health and fitness, but entwined within the words is a powerful magical effect. If anyone reads this book, which takes a total of 48 hours over a minimum of six days, he gains an inherent bonus of from +1 to +5 (depending on the type of manual) to his Constitution score. Once the book is read, the magic disappears from the pages and it becomes a normal book.

Strong evocation (if miracle is used); CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, wish or miracle; Price 27,500 gp (+1), 55,000 gp (+2), 82,500 gp (+3), 110,000 gp (+4), 137,500 gp (+5); Cost 1,250 gp + 5,100 XP (+1), 2,500 gp + 10,200 XP (+2), 3,750 gp + 15,300 XP (+3), 5,000 gp + 20,400 XP (+4), 6,250 gp + 25,500 XP (+5); Weight 5 lb.
(Emphasis added)

Again, it's rather clear that the XP cost is for putting in the XP components for the component spell (Wish, or what is a presumably a "powerful request" with Miracle).

Peregrine, your hypothesis will not work at my gaming table.