View Single Post

Thread: Game Rules: Movement

1. - Top - End - #13
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Game Rules: Movement

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    I think it was just barely possible with Starfire because space is basically empty, so it was a case of saying "reinforcement arrives in X rounds" without worrying so much about actually moving.
    In this case, it's a matter of tracing an unobstructed (no enemy units, no uncrossable terrain) path from where the reinforcements are to where they are to be used. Given that, it boils down to the same thing.

Erfworld has a fog of war, so a tabletop game is really ruled out from the outset unless you have a referee. I think this is why I haven't played a table top game in over 20 years, wth the possible exception of SPI's monster War in the Pacific, which a friend had coded into his Macintosh so that we could keep better records of what was going on. That game was so big that it tended to generate its own fow.
    There are ways to partially simulate fog of war in a tabletop game (face-down counters, including a scattering of decoy markers), but it only goes so far. For instance, you could have a one-sided fog of war (one side's counters are face up), but not a situation where one side is unaware that the other side has omniscient-eye intel (which appears to be the case in this battle).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-09-20 at 10:46 AM.