View Single Post

Thread: Low-Magic Campaign Setting

1. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Low-Magic Campaign Setting

I am in the beginning phases of developing a low power world myself.

I like what you have so far, especially the stats for settlements. The clearpoints are a great idea as well. I generally ban teleport spells but have only being able to use them in specific areas is a nice compromise.

Suggestions:

To help control the spellcasting population, spellcasters of any type are essentially a prestige class. Give them low enough prereqs that PCs can take them at 3rd level or so.

I like the restrictions on magic items available. I would even tone it down further. As a compensation, allow spellcaster PCs to create more powerful magic items if they do a lot of special quests or arcane research in game.

Maybe there's a lot of bogus magic items out there as well. Make detect magic a higher level spell and force PCs to develop their appraise skills?

Magical tests through a tightly regulated mage guild or church to gain access to higher level spells. PCs have to develop their skills (arcana, religion, etc...) to pass the tests. Also allows for a lot of plot hooks because the PCs need to stay affiliated with the guild or church to advance.

Outright ban more powerful spells like resurrection, flight, polymorph. wish, etc...

I also generally go with a cosmology that only includes the PM, elemental, and ethereal planes...no crazy demons, etc...to conjure up.
    Last edited by davwalp; 2007-10-19 at 06:38 PM.