Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
Not to contradict you my friend, but let me add some other thoughts for those reeling from the shock of it. Snap Out Of It has merit, with conditions...

1. Whoever is telling you to snap out of it has to recognize that they have No Idea what you are actually going through. If your feelings of being smothered/closed off/rejected/hurt/helpless/hopeless are not validated, then someone telling you to snap out of it is just gonna make you snap.

2. Whoever is telling you to snap out of it must also recognize that it is very easy for them to say it, but it's entirely different for you to do it. Doesn't really take rocket science to figure this out, but it's easy to forget that some people are not (maybe never) in a position to just "drop it and move on".

3. Whoever is actually feeling horribly depressed needs to remember that most people are not therapists, but rather "givers of advice". They have no training in clinical assessment, professional empathy, and recognizing the malliability of human emotions. Please remember that when your friends advice to "find someone new" or "just ignore it" drives you even insaner, they are genuinely trying to help...
Heh! Y'know, S-Hip...If you read my post carefully, I start by saying it can never work, and go on to say it might work.

(Bor's clarity of thought is brought to you by Darvacet, "Pain meds for the broken toe in you.")

I also made an effort to defend the sentiment. G-d knows, I wish I really could just "snap out of it." I see inspirational stories all the time, and I can't help but wonder, "How on Earth did they manage to find the courage to go on?"

Just a few days ago, I caught some show on TV about finding the next great band, or something. A three-man band called "Big Toe" came on stage, and while they were mediocre, they still managed to rock. The bass player was amazing! And not because he could pound out an awesome tune...it was because he had NO FREAKIN' ARMS!!! Born without upper limbs, he learned to do everything, and then some, with his feet. With his amazing attitude, I found myself wishing I was him, if only to have a better perspective than my own.

During the audition phase of the show "So You Think You Can Dance," there were several people with varying handicaps who auditioned. One man lost both legs; he impressed the judges, but never made it past the first part. One young woman lost her arm, and the judges found it hard to believe. And then there was this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGvIv...elated&search=

It makes me wonder...Am I weak? Are my handicaps real? How do I dare complain when there are others who have overcome what seems to be more than what I have against me?

*sigh*

I'm gonna go beat myself up some more. Seems to be what I do best these days.