Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
Well, that's precisely why I've never used the "magical item market" principle in my campaign worlds.
Well, that explains a lot...

Truth to tell, that's what I also usually prefer.

Magic items in the standard rules with prices given assume there are liquid enough markets for those items, even for the most powerful ones (short of artefacts). This in turn means there are enough casters with creation feats around. Since the items are permanent and rarely get destroyed, already thousands of years of item creation apparently have resulted in the widespread availability of magic items in the standard game.

This can be altered in both directions - either make those items even more common (say, by halving the price to create items and giving item creation feat also to mere craftsmen with high skills). This would result in world where magic leads to some sort of industrial revolution and "modern" world. Quite fantastic, but highly different to DM.
The other direction is the magic-poor campaign where items are more difficult to make. This is what a lot of people prefer to create more "realistic" medieval-like campaigns.
(Of course, both profound changes also have consequences for class balance, but that's for a different thread... )

- Giacomo