View Single Post

Thread: Zombies in my D20 Modern Game

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Zombies in my D20 Modern Game

I'm going to be running a zombie-themed d20 Modern game for a party of 4-6 1st level d20 modern characters. Obviously, the book's stats for zombies don't really meet the flavor of the kind of adventure I'd like to run, so I shamelessly cribbed a homebrew from somebody off these boards (thanks, whoever you are... they were originally called Zombies of the Night. Let me know who did this so I can credit you.)

I toned down their toughness slightly from the original to reflect the lower power of d20 Modern compared to D&D, so I'd appreciate it if those of you with more experience with the system would tell me how reasonable these monsters are. Keep in mind that the characters aren't really meant to stand and fight against these things, especially not in large numbers.

TL;DR: These are similar to those proposed by Oakspar77777 on the WotC boards so long ago; my main addition is the Moan ability, which should make for some interesting changes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Swan Point Zombies
    Medium Undead
    3d12 + 6 (25hp)
    Int -1
    Speed 30' (6 squares) (Can't run)
    AC 11 (-1 Dex, +2 Natural)
    Touch AC 9
    Flat-footed AC 11
    Grapple: +3
    Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d3+1)
    Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d3+1)
    S/R: 5'/5'
    Special Attacks: Infectious Bite
    Special Qualities: Spawn, DR 3/Slashing or Bludgeoning, Darkvision 60', Scent, Moan, Undead Traits, Fast Healing 1, Critical Death
    F/R/W +1/-1/+4
    Str 12, Dex 8, Con - , Int - , Wis 10 , Cha 10
    Feats: Toughness x2
    CR 1

Infectious Bite (Ex): Anyone bitten by a Swan Point Zombie takes 2 points of permanent ability damage per hour to both Con and Cha until death. This can only be removed by a Wish or Miracle spell. No save.

Spawn (Ex): Anyone killed by a Swan Point Zombie or after recieving an Infections Bite rises as a Swan Point Zombie after 1d4+1 rounds. Cutting off the head or destroying the brain prevents this from occurring.

Moan (Ex): Upon encountering living humans, a Swan Point Zombie will let out a ghastly, chilling moan. All other Swan Point Zombies within 200 feet can make Listen checks; all who succeed move towards the sound of the moan as best as they are able.

Critical Death: Swan Point Zombies only truly die when their brain is destroyed. They can survive any other type of damage and Fast Heal it at the rate of 1 hit point per round. Lost limbs are not reattachable or recoverable.
    There are only three ways to destroy a Swan Point Zombie. A successful critical hit against a Zombie kills it instantly, as will a Coup de Grace. Otherwise, fire, acid, or delivering a head blow will cause damage that will not Fast Heal and can kill a Swan Point Zombie. These head blows require a -4 to the attack roll due to the difficulty of the shot.
    Spoiler
    Show

If anyone's curious, I called them Swan Point Zombies because I live a half-mile away from Swan Point Cemetery in Providence, a beautiful place mildly famous for hosting H. P. Lovecraft's grave. This cemetery will factor heavily into the plot.

Tactics: These creatures are shambling and slow, but relentless in their pursuit of human flesh. In combat, they attempt to grapple their opponents before (a la Resident Evil) biting them until either they or their victim are dead. They mitigate their slowness by making judicious use of partial charges, culminating in a grapple attempt.

My hope is that the deadliness of the bite will be somewhat mitigated by the fact that they won't really get that many chances to use it. First, the zombies have to get into melee with the PCs, difficult due to their speed. Next, they have to initiate grapple, which will provoke an AoO (but not against unarmed civilians, against whom they are much more deadly). Then, they have to maintain the grapple long enough to hit with a bite.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I made this thread not wanting to bring back this one from the dead, but I realize there's been quite a bit of discussion on this topic already. With that in mind, however, these are for d20 Modern, not D&D, so consider the differences presented by a modern setting (no clerics, holy water, or magical sources of food, differences in weapons and other equipment, etc).
    Last edited by kjones; 2008-01-03 at 01:08 AM.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?