View Single Post

Thread: Epic Level Unhappiness (rant)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

frown Epic Level Unhappiness (rant)

First thread I've ever done, so I'll try to make it good.

I am currently playing in a campaign called The Drow War, created by Mongoose Publishing. The Campaign is released in three books, each book encompassing ten levels. So one of these books is epic 21-30. When I first saw this, I was terribly excited. I have been playing Third Edition since it came out and I have never ever played in, or DMed an epic level game. When I knew I would eventually go epic, there was only one class choice I knew I had to do: Wizard. The very idea of creating my very own epic spells had me shivering for joy. I couldn't wait.

Six months later, we finally arrive at the fabled and very anticipated "Third Book."

And just for clarity, my 20th level build was: Wizard6/Recaster5/Incantrix 9. (I am aware Recaster is a changling class, my DM ok'd it for my human character) I am a Meta-magic spell spewing God among men. The Drow didn't stand a chance. ;)

So we begin the Third Book, and I have been frustrated and unhappy since it began.

First I discover that most epic spells have spellcraft DC's so atrociously high that even with my skill focused and synergy'd spellcraft of 36, I would never achieve such cool spells as Hellball (and a few others whose name escapes me). At best, even with epic skill focus, my spellcraft will only achieve a 48 + whatever my final Int bonus will be. Did you see that? A spellcraft of possibly high 50's? I can scarcely conceive of such a thing, and yet it is still too low. How utterly disappointing.

Let's talk about my real beef: Epic Monsters.

Ever since this epic game has started, I have been consistently and frustratingly useless. Every monster we face has a SR so high that I can almost never succeed against it. Last night I fought Paragon Gargoyles. Their SR was higher than what I could achieve on a natural 20. They were essentially immune to me. How about touch attacks with no SR you say? Wonderful! I'll try that. *rolls a 19 plus touch attack!* Misses touch AC. What? So I have to roll a natural 20 there too? *cries*

Then there's the times, those miraculous interventions of God, when I do penetrate spell resistance. Oh finally! It will work! But wait, wait! All of this monster's saves are higher than 30! .... But.. but... my 10th level slots (yes I have them) have DC's of 28..! Why, he can only fail on a natural 1! *throws a fit*

How about my stats? I have an AC 36 regularly, and saves of Fort+17, Ref+15, and Will+22. Are you seeing those? That is ridiculous. I have never seen a wizard with saves so high. And yet I have them. And yet...

Every monster has an attack rating of 40-60+. So my high wizard AC means absolutely balls. How about that monsters spell-like abilities? Is that a DC 40? What what? But! But I can hardly make that! And they're ALL like that??

So bottom line is, I'm a meta-magic battle mage who can't succeed on spells, and my resistances are so abysmal that even a CR 19 Paragon Gargoyle can hit on anything but a 1. And even with a spellcraft so stupid it feels weird even rolling the d20, I will never achieve any really cool epic spells that I wanted.

Did I do something wrong? Am I built wrong? Is this a legitimate problem for other epic level wizards? Or is this campaign really playing too strong? I feel like a 5th level wizard trying to affect a Balor. It just isn't happening.

For those of you who actually read my ridiculously long tirade, please tell me what the deal is. Comments, questions, ideas. Anything. It would really be appreciated.

And again, sorry for the length. I needed to get all that out.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by CrowSpawn; 2008-02-06 at 12:45 PM.