So I was watching The Scarlet Pimpernel the other day (the old 1934 movie) and I realized in the middle of it all, "Hey, this'd make a great campaign setting. The League's a party of adventurers, there are plenty of mooks to outsmart and evade, and Chauvelin (or, if you're feeling ambitious and want to screw with history, Robespierre) would make a great BBEG."

So I started trying to stat the characters. Just because of my greater familiarity with the system, I started trying D&D builds. I was midway through it (using Spymaster for Percy and Nightsong Infiltrator/Enforcer for the League) when I realized (as I should have from the start) how terrible D&D is for modeling them.

So then I started thinking about other options. I have faith that GURPS would be able to model the characters well, but I'm not sure how well it would play. Most of the other big-name systems are pigeonholed into genres which would conflict with the Reign of Terror setting. I don't even know of any system that's actually intended for use in the late 18th/early 19th century. The only thing I can think of that might be of use is True20, which I'm planning to buy when the Revised Edition comes out in a month or so, but haven't fully read yet, so I'm not sure how suitable it would be.

So, anyway, my question is twofold... 1.) Do you think a Scarlet Pimpernel-inspired campaign is a good idea? 2.) If so, what system would be best?

I'm guessing the answer is going to be GURPS. I'll probably have to take another look at it. The last time I glanced at the book I was intimidated by the sheer bulk of the character creation rules and decided against trying it. Still, if you have any other suggestions (Especially if you know of any games actually focused on the 18th century... and not pirates. I know there are 18th century pirate RPGs, but, well... the Scarlet Pimpernel is not a pirate.) please let me know.