Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
Let's say n people can fly a plane. Now let's say I have a plane which for some reason only redheads can fly. Since this additional restriction cuts down the number of people who can use it without making it any more useful to those people, you have a smaller pool of end users to sell to, thus less demand. I'm not saying something I can't use is worthless to me, but of two identical things one of which can be ultimately useful to three times as many people as the other, I can expect to get a higher price for the more generally useable item.
That concept breaks down at the point the item becomes a specialty item.

Plane A is only flyable by redheads. Well, such an item is rarely wanted, so there's only a couple made, for the eccentric.

Plane B is flyable by anyone. Crafters know this is a popular item, and make dozens. In fact, dozens of crafters make dozens of them.

Now, when you look for Plane A, one of three things are possible:

1) Discontinued item, on clearance: Get a discount.

2) Specialty item, sold to the elite few concerned about item security: Raise the price for the "security feature", and the scarcity.

3) Out of stock, item available by commission only: the purchase request establishes demand. Supply is limited. Raise the price.