View Single Post

Thread: Feats for a gestalt Wizard//Factotum

1. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Feats for a gestalt Wizard//Factotum

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    More like the Rogue has more endurance, and is a better striker - while a Factotum gets fewer base skill points (8 vs. 6), there's more incentive to invest in Int (it powers most class features), he's got a bigger skill list, and with the Cunning Knowledge class ability, the Factotum can shore up any skill (once per day per skill, limited by inspiration points). With a relatively small handful of exceptions (skills used constantly or reactively - Search, Disable Device, Open Lock, Spot, Listen, Hide, Move Silently, sometimes UMD), the Factotum really only needs 3 ranks in the skills that the Rogue pretty much needs to max out, 1 rank in skills where the rogue needs to invest a moderate amount.

... and the Factotum can pull out save or suck/save or lose, and Direct Damage spells where the Rogue can't without expending cash to do so.
    Yup, but I still wouldn't discount the Rogue.

So, you're saying that "I take 10 on search" or "I take 20 on search" followed by "I use one inspiration point for Cunning Knowledge on Disable Device to take 10 to disable it" for each trap doesn't get monotonous?

At least with Summon Elemental, you get to watch all the pretty traps go off on the disposable minion (or hear descriptions of how they do, anyway).

Hmm... It's the Hench Games!
    That's the whole point, deal with traps in a variety of ways! Deal with some through good ol' disarming, some with summons and some with creativity (last one is preferred, of course, but only when possible).

Yes, but the way you phrase it, it is easy to interpret as a suggestion to routinely throw encounters with an encounter level of (Party Level +4) at the party.
    Hah, that's not my problem. If a party dies because a DM misinterprets what is said in my signature, I'm going to savor the moment.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-05-22 at 08:51 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.