Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
I like Zeta Kai's idea, with a few twists and ideas.
Good counter-thoughts, Gezina; very creative notions. I just have a few notes:

1) I think the twisting, idea that you have. That's brilliant. Although I do agree with Sequinox that the Cataclysm should have been largely fatal, & those few (1-5%) who actually managed to live through the hellish storms became warped into evil fiends. Perhaps a simple template could be devised for transforming a pre-Cataclysm creature into its fiendish counterpart.

2) I like the idea of some obelisks being damaged by the Cataclysm, but I'm not sure if they should have been utterly broken by it. Otherwise, what would the incentive be for the survivors to remain within their anti-magic influence while they rebuild? Fear of the fiends outside & a possible second Cataclysm may not be enough.

3) A magic-infused Old Empire is exactly what I had in mind. Tons of magical items & artifacts would be left behind, along with many wondrous locations which could slowly be falling into ruin. Magical libraries & crypts could even hold secrets, which could in turn provide clues to what caused the Cataclysm (or bring about a new one if uncovered).

This also provides a rationale for the obelisks: they were placed on the borders of the Old Empire to keep their equally magical enemies at bay. The Cataclysm could have been caused by a war between magocratic states, or an epic magical accident, or a terrorist act out of control. Think of the entire continent like the Mournland in Eberron, but without the healing suppression.

4) This is also a great idea. This prevents divine magic from filing the power vacuum left behind by the fear of arcane magic. No magic works within range of the obelisks, & the people fear magic of all sources. The gods didn't save the people, nor did the arcane might of the Old Empire; simple fate did. And so magic won't be trusted in any form.

5) I dunno if the fiends should be more numerous than the Survivors. They should of course be far more dangerous, & I agree that they should fight each other as much as (if not more than) the Survivors, but I feel like the Cataclysm loses its punch if so many creatures live through it (no matter how twisted).