View Single Post

Thread: Monks

1. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Monks

Have we not had a monk thread this week yet?

Ok, I'll try and run through all the reasons monks are considered a bad joke as a class as fast as I can:

1) MAD - Multiple Attribute Dependency, in case ya don't know. Monks have to have 3 to 4 stats be really high (Str, Dex, Con, Wis) to be any good. That's tough to do.

2) Flurry of Blows vs. all the other monk stuff - Monks have a bunch of mobility oriented powers and available bonus feats. The problem is that FoB requires a full attack action to use, so you can't use it in any round that you move.

3) Frontline melee with 3/4 BAB, low to decent AC, and low damage. Nuff said.

4) Useless abilities like tongue of the sun and moon, Quivering Palm (once a WEEK? Really?), etc.

5) Anything that makes a monk useful at high levels also makes a commoner useful.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot the main problem:

6) Monks have no real party role. They can do a few things, but everyone else can do them better. Rogues stealth and steal better, Rangers, Fighters, Barbarians, buffed Clerics etc. hit stuff harder, casters are, well, casters and do whatever the hell they want. Monks really can't do anything to help out the party, they're just sort of along for the ride.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2008-09-01 at 02:24 AM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules