Quote Originally Posted by Nargrakhan View Post
Stanely wants to go west, so he can reach Faq. East takes him back to Knob. We know Parson told Jack, to find a means in getting the Tool to go back to Knob. If Stanley is heading to Knob (which I think he is), its because Jack is following Parson's most recent orders. I think its safe to assume the Tool wanted to punch through TOWARDS Faq, not away from it. Seeing as how Parson and the Tool have conflicting orders – or at least intentions – I wonder if units obey commands like real military soldiers are supposed to: last given.
While Faq is apparently west of GK, it's also pretty certain (from Jillian's earlier comments) that Stanley's route to Faq wasn't the most direct. It's also been suggested in this forum that the pass that Stanley is using to enter Faq may be on the far side of it from GK. If that's the case, then going east will take Stanley closer to Faq, also taking him physically closer to, but practically farther from, GK.

Having to go around Faq to reach the pass might help to explain how Jillian was able to get there ahead of him, despite having slower mounts.