Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
I think your suggested Ranges look totally fine. Also, if you implement those changes though, you might want to increase the Ranges of the classes' abilities as well. It would suck hard if Omega Weapon could blast with Flare from as far away as he wanted, but Lulu had to stay within 30 ft (dangerously close to Melee!).
I agree but I'm not sure how you'd incorporate this for balance.

The major problem with leaving the ranges alone is that the system works best a stand alone game. When you incorporate FFX d20 features into a more traditional D&D game, the special abilities lag behind some of the spells in terms of ranges. For example: Hold monster has a range of 100 ft plus 10 feet per level of caster. This is far better than than capabilities of any Black Mage who has a 30-foot limit regardless of level. I admit that I had forgotten about this when I made my initial suggestion about ranges.

The only reason I suggested increasing the distance for monsters is to reflect how they would look in a more standard D&D setting. However, this may not work well for FFX d20.

If the ranges to all spell-like abilities should increase with level for all classes that use them, then you need to think about how this compares to CR of monsters. Let's suppose the base range for spell-like abilities is 30 feet and increases 10 feet per level (as a standard spell does). At 5th level, Lulu's range would be 70 feet, At 8th level it is 100 feet, at 10th level it is 120 feet. This may be the easiest fix but I'm not sure it is a balanced one.

Zeta, perhaps you should try it as a sample and see how it works before you overhaul your whole system. If it doesn't work, then leave the 30 foot ranges and perhaps limit all magic coming into Spira to 30 foot ranges as well. At least then everyone is on equal footing.

Debby