1. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Yet Another Skill Fix [Work In Progress]

Quote Originally Posted by Kizara View Post
    1) I like your knowledge idea. I am going to have to consider it for a while, but it strikes me as good both for RPing and balance considerations. You may want to consider making it half your intelligence, unless you intend for most people to be quite knowledgable.
    It's not Intelligence (that would be way too many), it's Intelligence bonus. Average or less (dumb fighters etc) gives you nothing, 12-14 (that most end up with) gives you one or two skill points, and it gets insulting only if Intelligence is your primary stat, especially at high levels. (Item boosts do not count for the bonus, I should make that clear.)

Int-based full casters get tons of them, but when it comes to full casters, Knowledge is not what makes them overpowered. The only ones you should really worry about are Int-based gishes: a Factotum would get all possible synergies (and can use them all!) very soon, and with Knowledge Devotion at 3rd level, he can hit like a fighter. My verdict? That's OK. He's still no match for the damage output of a dedicated tank, and it's nice to boost gishes.

2) I don't like the mimimum skill ranks. If people are playing a stupid meleer or something they shouldn't get a 'special needs' allotment of skill points or something. If you are really stupid, you know alot less, its that simple.
    Err.. I didn't get that. What minimum skill ranks?

3) Honestly, even after making larger and more numerous combination catagories then you have, I still find people don't have enough skill points.
    I feel your pain. Give out more, they're never enough, and tell us about play-testing them. (I've tried out +2 skill points to everyone, Able Learner for free and a background bonus of various numbers, but not all of them at the same time.)

@All: Don't hold your breath for the Social Skills just yet. It will be a variant, not suited for everyone, and I intend to make it independent from the other rules.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by KevLar; 2008-10-30 at 06:25 AM.
    Avatar lawfully nicked from this xkcd strip.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    Will dance around my room
    And frolic in my bed