# Stagnant Characters are frustrating. That is, in a game which offers so much potential for advancement, it is frustrating to be in the position where you don't actually get to do any of it. Sure, in a game like Shadowrun there's no disappointment to be had from not being able to achieve godhood and in a game like Champions you don't need to advance your character at all to have a good time. But D&D is a leveled system and not getting those levels makes us sad.
This is a very true point. As much as many of us profess to choosing roleplaying & fluff over mechanics, as much as I myself profess to it - and it's not untrue, I really do love to create a character and a story and worry about the mechanics afterwards - the thrill of gaining a level, and new powers with it, is undeniable, as is the frustration when you don't get them. This is especially true of newer players just getting into DnD. When you level up, you get new abilities, new powers, new toys to play with that you don't get any other way, and so we all love that reward.

That being said. I'd be interested in playing either of your first two scenarios. Though, I think I'd like to play the first one wit ha class system still in place, but no magic allowed; only martial classes of some nature. Very medieval feel to it, sounds like it'd be a fun experiment.