Quote Originally Posted by Telas View Post
I know it'll be an unpopular opinion, but I think Rich needs to apologize for his initial blog post.

How he manages to be "thrilled" at the gaming community's response to the initial (i.e. inaccurate) story is beyond me.

Personally, I'm a bit embarrassed at how some gamers reacted. Those who kept their heads and wrote CCF asking for clarification did the right thing. Those who flamed CCF did nothing more than perpetuate their own stereotype.
To be fair, he wasn't the only one reporting this story (I've seen it on other sites), so not all the letters were due to him.

Besides which, he's absolutely right about three things:
  • The "specific criteria" were never elaborated on, so who is to say that Gen Con will be denied again next year? Why not tell Gen Con what to do to meet the criteria (assuming they have nothing to do with D&D) if CCF was really interested in their donations?
  • What became of the person who DID deny Gen Con's donation? Were they informed? Chastised in any way? Slapped on the wrist? Or slapped on the back? We, or at least the Gen Con people, deserve to know what CCF is doing to prevent similar misunderstandings going forward.
  • The letters DID help (yes, even the angry ones) if they brought to CCF's attention any kind of flaw in their information-providing services that would cause a misunderstanding like this to happen.

So, I disagree - the Giant has NOTHING to apologize for, since only good came of this - both for the children and the gaming community.