View Single Post

Thread: Final Fantasy X d20 (PDF Now Available!)

1. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

Now, for those who don't know, in FFX, you can go to this crazy merchant guy who works at the Monster Arena in the Calm Lands. He will sell you some weapons with the ability to "capture" the monsters that you've defeated. If you capture a certain number of specific monsters in specific combinations, then when you visit the merchant again, he will create a new monster based on your captures. The monsters that he creates (hereinafter refered to as arena monsters) are insanely difficult to defeat, easily resulting in a TPK for the unprepared. The arena monsters are intended to be an additional challenge for those who have beaten the game.

So, someone (I forget who) suggested that I stat out all of the arena monsters. At first, I balked at the notion, because the arena monsters would be so uber-epic that nobody would ever need them, so it would be a waste of time. Also, the my project wasn't originally as comprehensive as it is today.

But later, I reconsidered. Some people do indeed play epic campaigns, & they need more enemies to challenge them. Epic campaigns can get pretty boring when the DM is running out of critters to throw at the demigod-party. Also, this project has covered just about everything else that one can regarding FF-based mechanics. And I have been looking for a design challenge, so I thought designing epic monsters would be a worthwhile exercise.

So, yes Virginia, I did make the arena monsters. Here they are, 48 of the most uber-epic monsters that you can find in the world of Spira.

NOTE: There are images for each arena monster. However, it is almost suicidally dangerous to be anywhere near an arena monster, so pictures of them will not be of the same quality as those of other fiends. A special mention needs to go to the brave & dedicated Spirans who captured these small-yet-illuminating pictures. Our thanks go to you; we honor the survivors, & we mourn the fallen.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-12-18 at 11:32 PM.