View Single Post

Thread: [D&D4.0] Armor training

1. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: [D&D4.0] Armor training

It is possible to have a plate-wearing wizard, but it's impractical for several reasons:

1: You don't get to add your Dex or Int modifier to AC with anything heavier than Hide. Since wizards run exclusively off of Intelligence, they should have a fairly high Int bonus which they'd be deprived of.

2: The stat requirements for the plate armor feats are pretty high; you need 15 in Str or Con, maybe both. (I can't remember off the top of my head.) This thins out your points for other abilities and decreases your ability to hit, among other things.

3: The enchantments available for plate armor aren't tailored for wizards. Most wizard-friendly enchantments are for cloth or other light armors.

4: You'd need to spend five feats on it, of the 18 you get over 30 levels. That deprives you of opportunity to take Astral Fire and whatnot, Expanded Spellbook, Spell Focus, and other really useful feats.

Now, what is effective is multiclassing from Fighter into Wizard. You don't need to spend the feats, the enchantments for scale will synergize with your Fighter abilities, and you can still have decent Int for your Wizard powers to run on.

Edit: Hey, my first ninja!
    Last edited by kieza; 2009-02-18 at 01:51 PM.