View Single Post

Thread: The Optimized Party?

1. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Optimized Party?

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    At level 1, the Wizard has 2 Color Sprays (save or lose for the whole encounter), and perhaps 3 or 4 if he has Int 20 and/or is specialized. The Druid has Entangle, multiple times. The Cleric has Command multiple times, and a CLW wand via gold pooling. The Artificer has a Bane: Whatever you're fighting crossbow, which does 1d8 + 2d6+2 (average 13.5 damage) and is therefore a save or die, vs AC. Not hard at all. Probably easier than a typical party.
    This is a late reply; but stay with me, I was away a while.

Color Spray does have potential to end encounters, but the close range and the fact that every target gets a save means there's a fair chance even weak-willed enemies will make their saves, and the Wizard is in dangerous territory. I'd say this can be risky for most Wizards, unless they can afford very high DEX and CON. The need may be alleviated if they have dependable teammates who understand efficient ways to distract or disable an enemy.

Entangle is a great spell, but it unfortunately doesn't move once you cast it. If your enemies aren't bundled-up, it loses some of that greatness.

Command is another great choice, but it's a close-range, single-target spell which, while capable of granting significant advantages, doesn't necessarily end an encounter.

Artificer is badass.

Individually, each of these abilities are really, really strong; but my commentary was not based on how much hurt these guys can lay down, despite killing your enemy before he can hurt you being the absolute best defense. But rather, the Druid and Wizard are going to have to find creative ways to improve their own AC so that they don't get owned by missile weapons, as will a Cleric if he wants to avoid heavy armor. If I'm not mistaken, Artificers aren't too durable, either.

This group is highly effective, but I think they each, individually become signficantly more hindered when losing initiative than say, a Fighter; a weaker but, at this level, more reliable class. If other characters are down, he might not be able to do much to get them back on their feet; but the fact he can't be hurt so easily means the enemy should fear him, if he presents enough of a threat.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2009-03-02 at 03:10 PM.