Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
Then you should strongly consider including some heavier mounted troops. They were relatively important.
That is my plan. Each of the three basic units are going to have two "upgraded" units that you can develop as the game passes. The Light Cavalry can be upgraded to Heavy Cavalry and Mounted Bowmen:

Heavy Cavalry: 4 Movement, .5 Power Melee - 7 Points Each

Mounted Bowmen: 4 Movement, .3 Power 3 Hex Range, .15 Power Melee - 8 Points Each

The exact numbers for them haven't been straightened out, but that's how they'll end up being like (at least for cavalry).

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
It's not a huge deal - I just assumed that this was the main bit of the game, as it is what's been detailed. As a general note, running long campaigns which involve managing both strategic and tactical aspects have a tendency to fall apart.

As a general piece of advice, avoid trying to get particularly detailed - if you do, your game will look like it's trying to be a simulation, and it will fail at that.
Yeah, I guess maybe I should have waited to put this up until after I had everything done, but I was excited with what I had currently, and didn't want to wait to get started on criticism/tweaking.

Its not going to be very detailed on the "Regional Conflict" stage, though it is quite important. Here's what I've got so far:

Spoiler
Show
All of your cities produce Might, Military Science, Social Science, and Infrastructure points. Might points allow you to have more troops, Military Science is what you pay to get upgraded units, Social Science is what you pay for upgrades to stuff in your cities etc., and Infrastructure Points are what you use to build roads, cities, and forts.

You begin the game with your Capitol. The Capitol provides 1000 might points, and produces 100 Military Science, Social Science and Infrastructure Points per turn.

Roads cost 100 Infrastructure per hex, and all of your cities must be connected to at least one other city. Forces may move double their regional movement per turn when on a road (Infantry move 1 hex/turn, Cavalry 2 hexes/turn. With mixed forces, move the slowest movement in the force)

Cities cost 100 Infrastructure, provide 100 might, and produce 10 Military Science, Social Science, and Infrastructure Points per turn.

Cities may be upgraded to a higher level at the points cost provided:
Level 2: 200 Infrastructure, Provides 200 might points, and produces 20 Military Science, Social Science and Infrastructure Points per turn.
Level 3: 300 Infrastructure, Must be a level 2 city, provides 300 might points, and produces 30 Military Science, Social Science and Infrastructure Points per turn.
Level 4: 400 Infrastructure, Must be a level 3 city, provides 400 might points, and produces 40 Military Science, Social Science and Infrastructure Points per turn.
Level 5: 500 Infrastructure, Must be a level 4 city, provides 500 might points, and produces 50 Military Science, Social Science and Infrastructure Points per turn.

If an opposing army enters a city with no troops in it, it may choose to either Ransack or Control the city. If the army chooses to ransack it, the city's controller loses all points provided by the city, and it loses one level per turn the army occupies it uncontested. If this would reduce the level of the city to 0, remove it from the map.

If the army attempts to control it, the city's controller loses all points provided by the city. They must remain uncontested in the hex for a number of turns equal to the city's level. Once the number of turns is completed, the army's controller gains control of the city. A city taken in this way loses one level.

So I guess it could be called a tactical game more than a strategy game. Any suggestions there? I still need to make the technology tree and come up with rules for forts (if I should even have them)