Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
... So, you're argument is that the gods are bastards and you shouldn't try to kill them, because they'll be jerks about it?

Seems to me if the reason to not start offing gods is that they'll gang up on you that one should simply employ a better strategy.
Come on, they're gods! You don't think they're powerful enough and clever enough to outsmart a mere mortal. They have Intelligences in the upper 30's and 40's, where the most a mortal can muster is probably 26 tops.

What I'm trying to say is that the gods will not sit idly by and let one of their own be killed unless there's a very good reason for it (Say the god neglects his duties, or is a total jerk-off to the other gods.) But if that reason isn't there, and the mortals are just killing a god for giggles, then I'd say there's no better strategy to employ. The gods will likely all gang up on the mortals and possibly obliterate them. Unless you've got the firepower to take out the entire pantheon at once, you shouldn't go god-killing.

And IF you have enough firepower to kill off an entire pantheon, it'll likely spell the end of the world, since without the gods to run the various aspects of creation, everything spirals out of control, like that episode of Disney's Hercules where Hades tricks all the gods out of their memories, and the mortal world descends into chaos, snow in the summer, Spartan warriors sleeping on the job, dogs and cats livin' together, MASS HYSTERIA! because the only god who's still managing something is Hades (and Trivia, the god of where three roads meet, who assists Hercules in setting things right, and voiced by Ben Stein no less.)