View Single Post

Thread: Mental Ability and Alignment

1. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Mental Ability and Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Actually, understanding one's views very well is what often causes one to be a zealot. A more moderate position could be seen as contradictory and the intelligent person may end up at an extreme.
    I was using this definition of zealot:

A fanatically committed person.

With this definition of fanatical:

Possessed with or motivated by excessive, irrational zeal.

Admittedly, there are other definitions of a zealot, but that's the one I'm using. By that definition, a moderate person and a zealot are mutually exclusive.

-----------------

To further my point, I see an intelligent person who isn't wise as someone who chooses which cause he pursues when contradictions appear between ideals. A wiser person would keep both ideals and find the necessary balance between them. For instance, I see Shojo as being very intelligent, but not very wise. I'd place his alignment firmly in NG. He isn't lawful, but he still prefers it to chaos.

Essentially:
    High int characters see that ethics and morality will conflict, but how they deal with this is dependent on their wis score. A high wis will allow for compromise, but a low score will lead the character to choose which he follows, and the other is merely the way his neutrality leans.

Low int characters won't notice the conflict.

------

All that said, I wasn't being restrictive. I didn't say, nor did I mean, that an intelligent person would never be an extremist, just that I felt it less likely than the half-neutral views.

-----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by JaxGaret View Post
    One more in the pile-on Godskook!

LN, NG, CN, and NE characters can be just as zealous as LG, CG, LE, and CE characters. So can True Neutral characters, for that matter.

Anyone can be a zealot.
    Druids, clerics and paladin variants are the only 'zealot' classes in the SRD. Notice that an int score isn't very useful in any of them, relative to other classes.
    Last edited by Godskook; 2009-04-24 at 06:18 PM.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):