View Single Post

Thread: Looking for other gamers opinions

1. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for other gamers opinions

I added a clarification that it would be able to be printed, although there may be a watermark.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnedIrishman View Post
    Really, this would depend on how many dice. Certainly, a larger number of die rolls tends to slow down combat and makes PbP less appealing. Also, more dice generally equates to less casual gamers, in my (limited) experience.
    Probably not more than 10 dice at a time, unless you really focused on that particular skill or ability and are extremely high level, with a full boatload of buffs. Note that they will be all the same die size, and almost never has any static bonuses (i.e. +x), which makes it easier for PbP gaming.

A point-buy system makes for better balanced characters, but it does lose some of the excitement of creating your character. However, many people simply reroll until they get a good set anyway, so it doesn't make a huge difference. Optional point buys are useful when people roll appalingly badly.
    Hmm... I see your point. I was doing it mostly to avoid the "I re-rolled my stats until I got straight 18's, don't I PWN!" problem, particularly because stats are more significant, and have almost no way to increase beyond a certain point.

I dislike reading digital formats, but I don't dislike it enough not to do it. However, I have a laptop and some people don't. Even if only digital formats were released, it'd be nice to print a special hardcover collector's edition at some point for traditionalists.
    Hmm... that would be something to discuss with a publisher. Thanks for pointing that out.

I hate DRM. But then again, I'm not the one losing profits to copyright fraud. The whole subject is slightly irrelevant, as it will eventually be broken and your rules will become torrents. But surely that's a sign of popularity?
    True, 256 bit encryption can make it sufficiently annoying to not bother breaking into, which is why the printing will likely come with a watermark, because at that point it will be easier to print and scan than to break the encryption on the DRM.

Thanks a bunch for the responses! Keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2009-05-18 at 07:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora